The latest in Bertolozzi’s groundbreaking works using monuments as instruments.
(The playlist on the left offers a sampling of 7 of the album’s 11 tracks) Bridge Music’s visceral rhythmic throbbing and strongly contoured melodic profile proves that this unlikely “instrument” is comprehensible as a means of musical expression. Using the suspension ropes, railings, spindles, fences, girders and in fact every part of the bridge except the roadway (which is left open to traffic), Bertolozzi has composed vibrant, site-specific music expanding the boundaries of known music-making while integrally incorporating one of New York’s landmarks, using the river and mountains themselves as his theater.
|THE CONTEMPLATION OF BRAVERY
Music for orchestra
Conducted by Joel Eric Suben
Mark Robbins, horn soloist
SUITE POUGHKEEPSIE Tracks [1-6] (17:46)
1. A Night at The Bardavon (2:54)
2. The Pioneers Vs. The Warriors (3:44)
3. The Soldier’s Memorial Fountain (3:13)
4. A Feast At The Italian Center (3:34)
5. A Wedding from Vassar Chapel (1:41)
6. Between The Bridges At Sunset (2:39)
7. THE CONTEMPLATION OF BRAVERY (9:06)
8. “AN AGE WILL COME…” (9:43)”Modern Americana” best describes Bertolozzi’s album of orchestral music whose title track, commissioned for the Bicentennial of the US Military Academy at West Point, commemorates the spirit of those who knowingly perform their duty in the face of personal danger, soldier, sailor, police officer, firefighter or rescue worker. “Suite Poughkeepsie” evokes characteristic local scenes from the composer’s boyhood hometown; from the majesty of the chapel at Vassar College, to The Soldier’s Memorial Fountain to the sweep of the Hudson River, the rich orchestrations depict the poetry of this city. “An Age Will Come…” commissioned for the 1992 Quincentennial of Columbus’s landing in the New World is a colorful overture, by turns introspective and exuberant, sweet and powerful.
THE BRONZE COLLECTION
Music for gongs, cymbals, Joseph Bertolozzi, percussionist
1. The Homecoming (4:05)
2. The First Landfall (4:50)
3. The Mausoleum at Halicarnassus (7:25)
4. The Colossus of Rhodes (6:40)
5. The Great Pyramid of Giza (3:48)
Think you know what new music is like? THINK AGAIN! The Bronze Collection is a stunning new percussion project, an assemblage of over 50 gongs and cymbals from around the world. It’s loud! It’s soft! It’s tribal! It’s avant-garde! It’s ambient! It’s world! This sampler will introduce you to a world of music you didn’t know existed.
|SONGS & WALTZES
Joseph Bertolozzi, piano
1. Meditation on Divinum Mysterium (4:39)THE CHILDREN’S CORNER [Tracks 2-12] (12:26)
2. Aaron at the piano (1:11)
3. Cullen’s day off (1:14)
4. Cullen and Paul on the back nine (0:56)
5. Cullen plays “Manhunt” (0:54)
6. Chelsea at Old Navy (1:32)
7. Chelsea feeding a colt (0:43)
8. Jackie’s favorite flowers (1:20)9. Jackie’s dreams (1:29)
10. Sarah and Daddy dancing (0:49)
11. Sarah and Liony (1:05)
12. Sarah onstage (1:06)SONGS & WALTZES [Tracks 13-18] (12:26)
13. The Continental Waltz (from The Team) (2:18)
14. Poema (5:05)
15. The Midnight Waltz (5:19)
16. Adagio (from The Belle of Amherst) (5:19)
17. Waltz (from The Belle of Amherst) (2:47)
18. The Paperboy Song (from The Team) (2:41)19. Between the Bridges at Sunset (from Suite Poughkeepsie) (2:32)Bertolozzi’s gift for melody is nowhere more evident than in this gentle collection of compositions. Effortlessly shifting from sparkling meditations to the directness of a child’s gaze, Bertolozzi’s simplicity of presentation speaks to his confidence as a mature composer, capable of creating sophisticated, large scale works, but who can still pour out one beautiful melody after another.
|GROUP TOUR DETAILS
BRIDGE MUSIC GROUP TOURS: PERSONALLY GUIDED BY COMPOSER JOSEPH BERTOLOZZI
|TRANCES & VISIONS
If purchased as a download (in PDF format), the music will be sent to the e-mail address listed on your order unless indicated otherwise in the “Instructions to Merchant” field. Unless you need an official hard copy, please download.
HORN & WIND ENSEMBLE
|If purchased as a download (in PDF format), the music will be sent to the e-mail address listed on your order unless indicated otherwise in the “Instructions to Merchant” field. Unless you need an official hard copy, please download.
If purchased as a hard copy, please indicate your ‘street’ mailing address.
|NOTE: This music is a digital download in PDF format. It will be sent to the e-mail address listed on your order unless indicated otherwise in the “Instructions to Merchant” field.